Basement Redevelopment Project
With the church growing continually, and the children's ministry now outgrowing the existing basement classrooms, the need to redevelop the chapel basement has become urgent.
The large basement room is wonderful for functions but does not work well for either children's ministry or other group meetings such as the theology classes we run, or the men's and women's Bible Study groups. In essence, the classes have all now reached maximum capacity for the small rooms, and the large space cannot cope with 2 groups at once for sound reasons.
Our plan is to completely re-work the basement, using flexible walling in one area to allow the basement to still be used for functions, but creating classrooms suitable for larger numbers of children/adults than any of the existing rooms.
Growth in numbers of children also means we need to build a separate men's toilet block, which will be put under the outside fire escape.
The basement project also includes:
- Creating partition walls and suspended ceiling.
- Creating new toilet blocks to allow for separate boys and girls loos.
- Redeveloping the existing fire escape to make it an entrance for the children's ministry.
- Extra insulating the separate room to function as a small studio for our growing media ministry
- Vision panels in all the rooms help prevent child abuse
- A reception area and check-in for children
- Renewing the existing floor and damp proofing
- Insulating the ceiling to stop noise transfer into the sanctuary
- Easing the windows (currently seized) and replacing secondary glazing with openers to allow ventilation
In addition to this basement work, there is quite significant work needed in the chapel sanctuary area, and in the kitchen.
In the Chapel Area
- The aisles are sunken and don't allow disabled access.
- With an ageing local population that used to come to the chapel as children, we hope to resolve this and remove the centre pews, replacing them with chairs, to allow us flexible accessible space to develop evangelistic lunch clubs for the elderly. (Cushions from the existing pews can be re-assigned to the gallery which is starting to be used.)
- The gallery is now starting to be used on Sundays, and we regularly have the ground floor completely full, which means we need to do some work to make the gallery more useable and safe.
In the Kitchen Area
- The church kitchen is now entirely inadequate for our size, and we'd like to include putting in a kitchen in this overall project, so that we can cater for the numerous events and adequately serve refreshments etc. on Sundays.
- Our current kitchen hasn't been touched since the 1960's and is somewhat dangerously below Health & Safety standards, meaning we're not allowed to prepare food on the premises.
- This effectively means starting again, and will likely include seeking local authority permission to install a serving hatch to ease congestion around the refreshements area.
Can you help us?
If you are able to help us with funding this urgent project, we have quite a lot of funds to raise. Praise God, due to an amazing provision, £40,000 has already been given to this project, but we will likely need 5x that amount. We will update this page with accurate information as soon as we have the local authority permissions sorted, and builders quotations received.
If you can give towards this project now, you can do so either by credit card by clicking here, or click here to get the church's bank details. Please use the reference: Building Fund in any bank transfer.
GraceLife London Bank Account Details
Payee Name: gracelife london
Account No#: 71586920
Sort Code: 40-02-17
Reference: Building Fund